PRO: Port Adelaide Tramline | $260m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: #U/C: Port Adelaide Tram Line

#616 Post by AtD » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:22 pm

So, about the Port Adelaide line...

_MO_
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#617 Post by _MO_ » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:36 pm

Oh, thanks for the warm welcome! I'm indeed new to the forum and, in fact, Adelaide, and I'm really sorry for clogging your space here.

Still, I think that to have an opportunity to go from one end of the city to another without having to change is extremely good for increase in PT use and reducing cars, etc. Right now when I have to go from north to south I use my car as even a 20 minute delay at the train station is something I would love to do without. If you think that maintaining status quo is paramount, then why winging about all those anti-development people? I'm just surprised to find this kind of attitude on the development forum.

And speaking of the tramline extension, I think this is absolutely the step in the right direction and it will not stop there.
My work is never finished.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#618 Post by Nathan » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:52 pm

But how many people would realistically need to go from the far south to the far north of the city? I'd imagine it would be a small minority - certainly not enough to justify a direct line in between.

Somebody
High Rise Poster!

#619 Post by Somebody » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:55 pm

muzzamo wrote:Have you travelled by train in any other capital city in australia?
What makes you think I live in Adelaide? Have been on all systems. Have not visited Cleveland, Tennyson or Macquarie Park but once I do, then I will have been on all suburban lines in Australia.
muzzamo wrote:Perth, Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney all have underground lines in the city offering a straight through or city circle service.
The purpose of these isn't for providing single seat journeys from one side of the sprawl to the other.

About the only place that I would end up if I rode a train into the city in Melbourne on my line would be back home, but still facing forward in the same seat. Same goes for all other lines, except if you come in from Werribee you might land in Sydenham, another line on the same side of town. Oh, and you'll need to change direction or you'll be sitting backwards to Sandy :wank:
mattblack wrote:I dont think its up to you to decide on whats usless dribble or not,
Incorrect. ;)
_MO_ wrote:Still, I think that to have an opportunity to go from one end of the city to another without having to change is extremely good for increase in PT use and reducing cars, etc.
You should be campaigning for 10 minute frequencies on each line so the connection time lost is negligible, not a half hourly direct train from Seaford to Angaston.
The Gold Coast - Australia's centre for insipid, tacky & boring.

Omicron

#620 Post by Omicron » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:21 am

_MO_ wrote:Oh, thanks for the warm welcome! I'm indeed new to the forum and, in fact, Adelaide, and I'm really sorry for clogging your space here.

Still, I think that to have an opportunity to go from one end of the city to another without having to change is extremely good for increase in PT use and reducing cars, etc. Right now when I have to go from north to south I use my car as even a 20 minute delay at the train station is something I would love to do without. If you think that maintaining status quo is paramount, then why winging about all those anti-development people? I'm just surprised to find this kind of attitude on the development forum.

And speaking of the tramline extension, I think this is absolutely the step in the right direction and it will not stop there.
I'll take the bait. :wink: Welcome, Mr. Mo! Get yo'ass over to the Introduction Thread and introduce yo'ass.

rhino

#621 Post by rhino » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:43 am

Omicron wrote:I'll take the bait. :wink: Welcome, Mr. Mo! Get yo'ass over to the Introduction Thread and introduce yo'ass.
:lol: :lol: Love that, Bro!
cheers,
Rhino

Will409
Legendary Member!

#622 Post by Will409 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:51 pm

More photos as work continues to press on. There was an article on the local Ch10 news last night about the work pressing onwards. The State Major Projects Manager Rob Hook stated last night that the proposed work timetable would include underground services relocation works starting in the next two weeks or so with track laying set to begin in May.

Tree lopping completed on North Terrace immediately after City West terminus.

Looking back to City West terminus showing the extent of how wide the final width of North Terrace once the tramline is completed. By around this time next year, the edge of the road surface will be where I am standing.

Further along at the intersection of North Terrace/West Terrace/Port Road. The yellow marker to the left hand side of the photo will be the eventual width of the road/footpath.

Removed trees looking along Port Road facing away from the CBD.

Tree lopping is now being carried out on Port Road along side Bonython Park. The extent of road widening not be as much as what is planned for North Terrace. The footpath in the second photo will be removed with the new road alignment taking its place. A new shared road/cycle path will be built alongside Bonython Park and will also feature a lot of new tree plantings.

The first of three gangs of tree loppers working along this part of Port Road.

The second gang of tree loppers.

The third and final gang of tree loppers.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#623 Post by muzzamo » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:30 pm

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#624 Post by jk1237 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:46 pm

hey guys, is there a thread on the Bowden/Brompton housing TOD. I couldnt find one in the suburban section. At the end of this year I would have been in my unit for 5 years and would be looking for an upgrade. A rooftop garden apartment in the city (my dream) is still out of my budget, so to buy a med density something in the new Clipsal project interests me caus its such a cool area with great transport links to town (including bike tracks, trains and soon trams), and to waltz down to the Gov anytime for a meal or see a band sounds great. Does anyone know the time frame or if any housing plans have been released?

Mants
Legendary Member!

#625 Post by Mants » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:36 am

jk1237 wrote:hey guys, is there a thread on the Bowden/Brompton housing TOD. I couldnt find one in the suburban section. At the end of this year I would have been in my unit for 5 years and would be looking for an upgrade. A rooftop garden apartment in the city (my dream) is still out of my budget, so to buy a med density something in the new Clipsal project interests me caus its such a cool area with great transport links to town (including bike tracks, trains and soon trams), and to waltz down to the Gov anytime for a meal or see a band sounds great. Does anyone know the time frame or if any housing plans have been released?
http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... 904#p59904

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#626 Post by Tyler_Durden » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:23 pm

What will be the alignment of the track? Will the track continue along the middle of the road all the way to the Ent Cent?

Archer
High Rise Poster!

#627 Post by Archer » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:28 pm

Tyler_Durden wrote:What will be the alignment of the track? Will the track continue along the middle of the road all the way to the Ent Cent?
Yes.

In Construction News, I noted this morning that the Cottage on the SA Water site along Port Road opposite the Police Barracks has been Bulldozed. From memory it had to go to make way for the road widening in this section.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#628 Post by Wayno » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:53 pm

I drove up Port Rd into the city earlier today. The stretch of road opposite the Brewery/CCL looks much better with the trees gone! Don't get me wrong - i love trees (i regularly water and fertilise mine), but removing them has opened up a tremendous view of the city and beyond. It is also helping me appreciate just how extensive the parklands actually are!

Hope that makes sense.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#629 Post by SRW » Tue May 05, 2009 8:19 pm

Cr blows whistle on trams
by Alice Higgins
05 May 09, The Eastern Courier

THE aggravation of standing at Goodwood and Wayville watching full trams pass by without stopping could be coming to an end, Unley councillor Bob Schnell says.

Cr Schnell, a regular tram commuter, says he has heard that six new trams, each costing $6 million, will be operating from November although the State Government will not confirm the news.

The councillor said he discovered the German-made trams would start arriving from July by directly contacting the maritime shipping sector. “I’m annoyed the decision’s been made and we haven’t been informed,” he said. “If I can source the information then the minister must have it.

“Commuters would be more tolerant if they knew something had been arranged.”

Increased tram patronage over the past 12 months has meant peak-hour services into the city often pass through Goodwood and Wayville stations without stopping because the trams are too full.

Cr Schnell said people were being forced to shuffle their commute times to fit on a tram.

“I witness the inconvenience and frustration on a daily basis. People can either get to work early or late.”

He hoped the new trams were not coming just to service the expansion of the line to Port Rd because “it’ll achieve nothing”.

A spokesman for Transport Minister Patrick Conlon would not confirm if six trams had been ordered, saying the government remained in negotiations.

Novar Gardens commuter Ben Hughes said he had noticed more crowding since the tram line was extended to North Tce.

“I think they underestimated the popularity of the expansion,” he said.

However, Mr Hughes said fixing the problem was not simply a matter of putting on more trams.

“If the trams ran more frequently, it would cause traffic congestion. I think getting bigger trams is the answer,” he said.

Glandore resident Michelle Gillings said the overcrowding had raised health and safety concerns.

“A few times the tram has had to slam on its brakes and people standing get thrown forward,” she said.

“People are always coughing and sneezing and it’s stuffy inside. They need to increase the frequency in the mornings and evenings.”

Ms Gillings said the current state of the trams would be a “huge deciding factor” on whether she accepted a job offer to transfer to another office outside the city.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Somebody
High Rise Poster!

#630 Post by Somebody » Tue May 05, 2009 8:30 pm

Idea - when the extra trams come, some of the shuttle trips could be extended further south to a cross-over in the inner suburbs, to provide extra capacity for them.

Although won't the new ones only be enough to extend all trips to the Entertainment Centre and be absorbed by that.
The Gold Coast - Australia's centre for insipid, tacky & boring.