High Rise TTP apartments and interchange

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
duke
High Rise Poster!

High Rise TTP apartments and interchange

#1 Post by duke » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:40 am

My idea involves enclosing the Tea Tree Plaza interchange. Make it similar to the Adelaide Train Station.

This would provide
- Better safety for people at night
- More comfortable in extremes of temperature
- TV's with entertainment while people are waiting for a bus
- TV time tables automatically showing the est arrival of the next bus to each stop.
- Small island coffee shops

All entry to the ground floor interchange would be via the 1st floor. This would mean no one would need to walk in front of the buses. Think Syd and Melb subway stations where the stairs take you to your desired platform.
1st floor could contain small shops and/or a food court.
2nd floor to 20th floor would contain apartments and maybe some offices. People living here can easily bus to the city by going down stairs, do their shopping, watch a movie, cross the road to study at TAFE. Views of the hills and the city.

Parking space next to the interchange would be converted into a multi level carpark, some levels for park and ride, some for residents and some for shoppers.
Access to this carpark would be available from the ground, smart road like the current roof top parking and joined onto the existing rooftop parking.

Access between TTP and level 1 of the interchange would be via a new walkway between the rooftop entry near Coles.

I know it would never happen, but thoughts?

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: High Rise TTP apartments and interchange

#2 Post by AtD » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:25 am

I do remember reading a rumor (although it might have been a dream) that TTG council were lobbying to have Modbury classified as a TOD and zoned for higher densities than currently exist. I do not believe they have been successful.

There is vast amounts of empty land and surface level car parks around Modbury.

I have had the thought of having a concourse above the interchange that is level with Smart Rd and another under the interchange that's level with the Coles entrance to Westfields. With ticket gates, rear-door boarding could be possible.

Straze
High Rise Poster!

#3 Post by Straze » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:31 pm

I would like to see a mural at Tea Tree Plaza Interchange showcasing the Adelaide O-Bahn and the surrounding area.
Do yourself a favour and come to South Australia.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4 Post by Omicron » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:20 pm

It is intriguing how suburban councils bleat on endlessly about trying to avoid becoming 'another Glenelg' (as if high shop rents, high foot traffic, high land values and high patronage were somehow undesirable) whilst trying to maintain a 'village atmosphere', and yet it's their own development guidelines that permit dull, flat, generic boxes without sufficient density to encourage the foot traffic necessary to support a bustling village in the first place.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5 Post by jk1237 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:31 pm

Straze wrote:I would like to see a mural at Tea Tree Plaza Interchange showcasing the Adelaide O-Bahn and the surrounding area.
um, ok then :?

:lol:

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#6 Post by Omicron » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:45 pm

It's Mono in disguise!

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by monotonehell » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:47 pm

Omicron wrote:It's Mono in disguise!
As much as it pains me - I tend to agree with Jk.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#8 Post by Hooligan » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:34 pm

Here is a facebook group for you all to join

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2 ... 745&ref=nf

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

Pat28
High Rise Poster!

#9 Post by Pat28 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:34 pm

Omicron wrote:It is intriguing how suburban councils bleat on endlessly about trying to avoid becoming 'another Glenelg' (as if high shop rents, high foot traffic, high land values and high patronage were somehow undesirable) whilst trying to maintain a 'village atmosphere', and yet it's their own development guidelines that permit dull, flat, generic boxes without sufficient density to encourage the foot traffic necessary to support a bustling village in the first place.
Gah, uttered the dirty "V" word. How can one have the supposed "village atmosphere" in the middle of suburbia??? Especially at TTP. The focus should be for TTP is to become the a CBD of the North Eastern Suburbs (or Golden Grove for that matter, either will do). Here in Australia, we never really had villages and any example (if any) that remains (supposedly, you backward, snobby Stirling people I am looking at you - one word Coles) don't even deserve the title of village as they are bigger than convention definition or just one-horse towns.
So, sorry to all those people wanting the "village atmosphere" in a suburb - you are not really ever going to get it.

Anyway, back to TTP, high rise all the way otherwise the Hospital sticks out like a sore thumb, make a sore hand.
Besser Verkehr in den Bergen

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by Wayno » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:45 pm

Pat28 wrote:So, sorry to all those people wanting the "village atmosphere" in a suburb - you are not really ever going to get it.
T.O.D.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#11 Post by monotonehell » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:52 pm

Wayno wrote:
Pat28 wrote:So, sorry to all those people wanting the "village atmosphere" in a suburb - you are not really ever going to get it.
T.O.D.
Quite! I was going to say the same thing.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

duke
High Rise Poster!

#12 Post by duke » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:15 am

Modbury is already a CBD of sorts. It could never be a 'village' the layout is wrong and its already too developed.
The area has so much potential, but it needs to be built up.
Apartments, offices, entertainment.

Interchange and Modbury Triangle are perfect places to be built up, along with parts of the TTP carpark.
Then there are surrounding houses with large yards which would make good high rise development sites. A lot of these houses look like they have not been touched since they were built.

Civic park should be left as it is though. Its prefect size for community events.

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#13 Post by peas_and_corn » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:00 pm

duke wrote:My idea involves enclosing the Tea Tree Plaza interchange. Make it similar to the Adelaide Train Station.

This would provide
- Better safety for people at night
- More comfortable in extremes of temperature
- TV's with entertainment while people are waiting for a bus
- TV time tables automatically showing the est arrival of the next bus to each stop.
- Small island coffee shops

All entry to the ground floor interchange would be via the 1st floor. This would mean no one would need to walk in front of the buses. Think Syd and Melb subway stations where the stairs take you to your desired platform.
1st floor could contain small shops and/or a food court.
2nd floor to 20th floor would contain apartments and maybe some offices. People living here can easily bus to the city by going down stairs, do their shopping, watch a movie, cross the road to study at TAFE. Views of the hills and the city.

Parking space next to the interchange would be converted into a multi level carpark, some levels for park and ride, some for residents and some for shoppers.
Access to this carpark would be available from the ground, smart road like the current roof top parking and joined onto the existing rooftop parking.

Access between TTP and level 1 of the interchange would be via a new walkway between the rooftop entry near Coles.

I know it would never happen, but thoughts?

OK, if I am understanding you, essentially you want a multi-story building where the interchange is now, with entry on the first floor (from Smart Road?) and ground floor being access to where the buses are. Does that mean the buses will essentially be inside a building?

I wonder what TTP would have to say about a food court being so close to TTP, especially considering their long term plans for TTP/TTPlus (yeah, they're on hold/lapsed, but the plan's still there). While having apartments there would be nice, it would be difficult to shake the perception that the TTP area is one to be avoided at night.

duke
High Rise Poster!

#14 Post by duke » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:30 pm

peas_and_corn wrote: OK, if I am understanding you, essentially you want a multi-story building where the interchange is now, with entry on the first floor (from Smart Road?) and ground floor being access to where the buses are. Does that mean the buses will essentially be inside a building?
Yep. Just like other major bus stations around the world.
peas_and_corn wrote:I wonder what TTP would have to say about a food court being so close to TTP, especially considering their long term plans for TTP/TTPlus (yeah, they're on hold/lapsed, but the plan's still there).
Westfield should be involved. I have seen other shopping centers around Australia that have multiple food courts. Its such a big shopping center that it makes sense to have another one over that side.

peas_and_corn wrote:While having apartments there would be nice, it would be difficult to shake the perception that the TTP area is one to be avoided at night.
Problem with TTP is that it gets dark and there is no one around. If there was an apartment complex it would mean more people are around. The same with more places of entertainment.

My vision for the whole area would be to pack it full of things people can do. More cinemas, bigger arcades, bowling alley, nightclubs, more restaurants. The whole area is a wasteland when the shops are not open.

More people gives more safety.

iTouch
Legendary Member!

#15 Post by iTouch » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:46 pm

If there was money going around and people were in a radical mood, I'd like to see an underground story added below the Cinema floor that extends west to connect with Modbury Triangle

Also the conversion to traffic lights instead of that fricken roundabout at the reservoir and smart road crossing. I've had 1 too many car accidents there
Don't burn the Adelaide Parkland (preservation society)