[U/C] 88 O'Connell Street | 63m | 13, 13 and 15 Levels | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: SWP: Former LeCornu Redevelopment | 20m | 6lvls | Mixed

#781 Post by rhino » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:27 am

An informative sign letting people know what is intended for the future of the current "green space" would solve that issue. Many parks have creative and attractive informative signs in them (usually about the history of the place - in this case it would be about the future plans for the location). When it comes time for the green space to get devloped, people will probably be disappointed, but they won't have reason to be outraged.

I would like to see this happen in more places - for example the half-completed developments in the city where only the multi-level carpark has been built, and the office building space is a gravel lot with a daggy fence around it.
cheers,
Rhino

Waewick

#782 Post by Waewick » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:45 am

I agree with you in principle.

however I'm just not sure in practice how well it would work - especially the minimisation of the "outrage"

imagine if the Le Cornu site for the last 20 years had been a grassed area with a playground? imagine the community resistance if it was to be removed?

what it should be, is parking.

skyliner

#783 Post by skyliner » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:35 pm

well....who'd have believed that in the face of the history of the site.Desperately needed to change that blighted feel of O'Connell St and give it an active city atmosphere.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS AS GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#784 Post by jk1237 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:26 pm

rev wrote:
How many residential developments in the CBD have fallen through because apartments weren't selling?
You can't really blame him, or any developer, for not wanting to invest their money in projects that aren't viable. If apartments aren't selling, there's not much point investing in a development featuring apartments.
fairly priced, decent sized apartments sell quickly. The market in Adelaide seems to prefer the small scale apartment developments I must admit. Ridiculously overpriced, shoeboxes like the Balfours Altitude and other smaller whatsname on Morphett St, will always fail. Happened with Newport Quay - greedy developers that caused their own demise

Waewick

#785 Post by Waewick » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:02 pm

jk1237 wrote:
rev wrote:
How many residential developments in the CBD have fallen through because apartments weren't selling?
You can't really blame him, or any developer, for not wanting to invest their money in projects that aren't viable. If apartments aren't selling, there's not much point investing in a development featuring apartments.
fairly priced, decent sized apartments sell quickly. The market in Adelaide seems to prefer the small scale apartment developments I must admit. Ridiculously overpriced, shoeboxes like the Balfours Altitude and other smaller whatsname on Morphett St, will always fail. Happened with Newport Quay - greedy developers that caused their own demise
+1

as far as I am concerned the Balfours site put apartment living in the city back 20 years

flat04
Gold-Member ;)

#786 Post by flat04 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:37 am

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/business/ ... 6551684764

Con Makris in $52m Gold Coast mall splash

...............However, it appears tensions may be simmering between Mr Makris and billionaire developer Lang Walker, who together have plans for a $200 million mixed-use retail, office and apartment project on the former Le Cornu site on O'Connell St.

At the time of the joint venture agreement in July, Mr Makris hailed Mr Walker's involvement, describing the developer as, "a straight shooter like myself".

But yesterday, he explained how his plans for the site were being held up by Mr Walker's delays. "I'm still waiting for Lang Walker to finalise the plans. It has to happen in the next month or so. I can't wait any longer or I'll do it myself," he said.

"It has taken longer than I expected and I am frustrated, but I am very excited about this project - the Gold Coast is booming at the moment."

Mr Makris also indicated that plans for a Monaco-style marina extension at Holdfast Shores, servicing a high-speed, passenger-only ferry to Kangaroo Island, remained in the pipeline after being originally flagged in 2011.

"It's with the Government now and they have to build the infrastructure. But the Government is progressing it very fast at the moment," he said.................

Nathan

#787 Post by Nathan » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:53 am

Because Markris himself would never take his time and sit on something, would he? :roll:

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#788 Post by Ben » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:03 am

Funny how Makris considers himself a "straight shooter" yet all he has done for the past 10+ years is lie through his teeth. He says how much he loves Adelaide etc yet his empty block of land is one of the cities biggest embarressments.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#789 Post by rev » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:58 pm

You do realize he sat on the site and kept it vacant as a way of giving the Adelaide City Council the middle finger, and rubbing it in their faces that there is this blight on the landscape....right?
Not that I agree with it..
But look at it from his point of view, that of a developer. Imagine how frustrating it must have been dealing with the nimrods at the City Council.
I'm sure that if any one of us were a billionaire, we too would decide to stick it to them as well by keep a large block of land empty with an ugly mismatched fence in a prime location like that.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#790 Post by Ben » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:07 pm

rev wrote:You do realize he sat on the site and kept it vacant as a way of giving the Adelaide City Council the middle finger, and rubbing it in their faces that there is this blight on the landscape....right?
Not that I agree with it..
But look at it from his point of view, that of a developer. Imagine how frustrating it must have been dealing with the nimrods at the City Council.
I'm sure that if any one of us were a billionaire, we too would decide to stick it to them as well by keep a large block of land empty with an ugly mismatched fence in a prime location like that.

The current proposal has been approved since 2007 and the ACC have actually never refused a development on that site contrary to what he would like you to think.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#791 Post by how good is he » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:42 am

Maybe the delay has been worth it.......

I have been told that the new plans have 2 levels of retail [plus below ground] plus 2 levels of offices and/or cinemas.... AND......DRUM ROLL PLEASE........... and with the new 30 year plan for adelaide, the apartment/hotel plans [By Lang Walker] are now for 3 separate towers with the middle tower 6-storeys and the two opposite end towers 12-storeys each.

Nimbys eat your heart out!!! :applause:

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#792 Post by dsriggs » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:37 am

Wake me when the crane goes up.

[Shuz]

#793 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:11 am

dsriggs wrote:Wake me when the crane goes up.
Hear, hear. I will believe it when I see it.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

skyliner

#794 Post by skyliner » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:56 pm

Yawn. Next.....

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

Songsting
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#795 Post by Songsting » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:24 pm

Will not happen, no matter what he might suggest... This has to be one of the saddest threads on this site for people wanting to see development happen. :wallbash: