[COM] Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: U/C: Adelaide Oval Redevelopment | 53,500 | $545m

#2551 Post by Paulns » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:45 am

I reckon, awesome panoramic shot! The Adelaide Oval's really beginning to look like a proper Stadium now!
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2552 Post by UrbanSG » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:21 am

Love these recent photos from flickr ... more photos in the user's photostream:

Adelaide Oval WIP-155.jpg by Steve _ Beaumont, on Flickr

Adelaide Oval WIP-124.jpg by Steve _ Beaumont, on Flickr

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2553 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:26 am

I'm curious - is there a reason for the large gaps in between the grandstands?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

buildit83
Gold-Member ;)

#2554 Post by buildit83 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:45 am

[Shuz] wrote:I'm curious - is there a reason for the large gaps in between the grandstands?
I'm guessing by the looks of it they will finish the ends of the stands last for easier access into the arena for construction. they will be quite large gaps between the stands when completed though because the video screens will be in place between the stands. the gaps will be smaller than they currently are by looking at the renders.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2555 Post by Pants » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:05 am

It's a deliberate attempt to keep a cricket ground feel to the place rather than have a continuous concrete bowl. The idea is to have three separate and somewhat distinct stands.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#2556 Post by Kasey771 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:00 pm

Pants wrote:It's a deliberate attempt to keep a cricket ground feel to the place rather than have a continuous concrete bowl. The idea is to have three separate and somewhat distinct stands.
Yes. We do not want or need to be an MCG clone.
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

claybro

#2557 Post by claybro » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:52 pm

Pants wrote:It's a deliberate attempt to keep a cricket ground feel to the place rather than have a continuous concrete bowl. The idea is to have three separate and somewhat distinct stands.
Pants, i am not sure of your expaination here. Is there evidence of this in the design brief? Certainly the Western stand is different because it is already there, and will be the smallest of the three. My understanding is that the Southern stand is the largent is because it has the most room to expand behind it. The Eastern stand is larger than the existing Western stand, but also smaller than the southern Stand due to a lack of room between the oval and KW Rd and provision for transit zone etc. I do have concerns that the gaps between the stands and the open Northern end will result in a loss of atmosphere (crowd noise) at games, but I dont want to knock this project and therefore I am not wanting to be negative.

vozdra
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2558 Post by vozdra » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:13 pm

can't help but think how much better the stadium would have turned out if the grassed area/ scoreboard were on the opposite side of the stadium and the southern stand was being built on the north. Would have had a perfect view of the city from where the current grassed area is.

ghs

#2559 Post by ghs » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:15 pm

[Shuz] wrote:I'm curious - is there a reason for the large gaps in between the grandstands?
One large concrete bowl can result in a lack of fresh air in the stadium.
I think you I'll find for this reason there will always be big gaps between the stands.

fifty
High Rise Poster!

#2560 Post by fifty » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:49 pm

claybro wrote:
Pants, i am not sure of your expaination here. Is there evidence of this in the design brief? Certainly the Western stand is different because it is already there, and will be the smallest of the three. My understanding is that the Southern stand is the largent is because it has the most room to expand behind it. The Eastern stand is larger than the existing Western stand, but also smaller than the southern Stand due to a lack of room between the oval and KW Rd and provision for transit zone etc. I do have concerns that the gaps between the stands and the open Northern end will result in a loss of atmosphere (crowd noise) at games, but I dont want to knock this project and therefore I am not wanting to be negative.
No, pants is right. It was mentioned at least verbally, maybe even officially in some of the marketing material, about the gaps being a deliberate design element to retain the cricket ground feel, rather than enclosed bowl experience. A quick search from the below, but I know there was more said.

"The redevelopment is also considerate of the views that have long been a part of coming to the Adelaide Oval and several carefully designed gaps in the architecture in the north and east will ensure the oval remains carefully integrated into the surrounding parklands." (from http://www.adelaideoval.com.au/94/fast-facts.aspx)

claybro

#2561 Post by claybro » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:07 pm

And thanks for the clarification. It does concern me that they wish to create a feeling inside the ground that it is still "integrated into" the parklands. Inside the ground should be about noise and atmosphere. But I guess what works for cricket is not necessarily best for football. I imagine Adelaide oval will be a far more pleasant place to watch cricket, but perhaps a tad less exciting than the cauldron type atmosphere of an MCG or Ethiad, although both those places are pretty desolate wihtout a big crowd.

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2562 Post by Paulns » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:45 pm

I think you'll fund that when there's 35 - 50,000 people packed into the New Adelaide Oval, they'll be plenty of atmosphere comparable to anywhere in the world!
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

Matt
Legendary Member!

#2563 Post by Matt » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:02 am

I'm glad they've kept 3 separate stands/pavilions as a point of difference to other stadia.
I also like the fact that they are trying to make it feel like part of the parklands. The vines on the outside of the stairwells are a nice touch (if this is still happening... seem to recall spotting it on a previous render).

The Gabba, for example, is an awful place to watch sport. I'd have hated for Adelaide Oval to have been turned into a soulless concrete bowl.

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#2564 Post by dsriggs » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:25 am

Matt wrote:The Gabba, for example, is an awful place to watch sport. I'd have hated for Adelaide Oval to have been turned into a soulless concrete bowl.
Ugh, my least favourite stadium. Just a big bowl with no definable features & the multi-coloured seats are awful.

PrideofSA
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2565 Post by PrideofSA » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:49 pm

The southern stand is starting to become visible from along North Terrace near Uni SA. It's becoming a part of the skyline similar to that of the MCG on a smaller scale of course