News & Discussion: Other Transport Projects

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
muzzamo
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Transport Projects

#406 Post by muzzamo » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:32 am

Its pretty easy to see the high cost-benefit ratio in this though.

If, for instance, a car takes a journey that is 3 minutes quicker than the alternative because of this system, thats 3 minutes worth of peak hour road space that doesn't need to be built to cater for this car.

Remember - the cost of building more peak hour road space (North South Motorway) is around a billion dollars per 3-4km, so every second that we take a car off our roads in peak hour has a very real and tangible benefit.

PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#407 Post by PeFe » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:08 pm

From News.com.au
Adelaide carparking tax legislation faces certain defeat in Upper House

The Government will concede defeat in its controversial bid to impose a city carpark tax. Source: News Limited

Story summary: •Parties state their positions on carpark tax
•Where to park in the Bay for free
•Operator passes tax on before being law
•Don’t pass levy on to customers

A PROMISED park ‘n’ ride at the popular Paradise Interchange will be the first project to be axed when a $120 million hole is blown into the State Budget with the defeat of the carpark tax.

Treasurer Tom Koutsantonis said a “whole series” of public transport projects were at risk now the State Government conceded the defeat of its controversial bid to impose a city carpark tax.

The Government will put the Transport Development Levy to a vote in the Upper House today where it faces certain defeat.

The tax would have imposed a $750-a-year charge per car park, which was expected to cost drivers up to $6 extra a day to park.

Mr Koutsantonis said it was fair to consider that everything the Government had promised under the levy was under threat including park ‘n’ rides, new trams, buses and trains.

Transport Minister Stephen Mullighan said the Government would also have to review its 30-year transport plan, which outlined a timeline for new tram lines, rail and road upgrades.

The Paradise park ‘n’ ride is the first victim of what looks to be a terrible decision by (Liberal MP for Hartley) Vincent Tarzia and (Opposition Leader) Steven Marshall,” he said.

“We also talked about other measures to reduce congestion around the city. The Deputy Premier late last year released the Integrated Transport and Land Use plan that spelt out many tram extensions, for example, and other upgrades around the city.

“These are the sorts of things now which become incredibly difficult for the Government to deliver. We’ll be looking at releasing the final plan as quickly as possible.”

Government modelling shows the tax was meant to raise $120 million over the next four years.

This was to help pay for five new trams, five three-car electric trains and 88 new buses.

Mr Koutsantonis told The Advertiser that without the levy, South Australians would face “major delays and gridlock”.

“We need to improve the way we commute by funding world-class public transport that will encourage more people onto our buses, trams and trams,” he said.

“It will decongest our roads into and through the CBD so the people who need to drive in still can.

“The Transport Development Levy, which exists in the other major capitals, will allow us to do this.

The Government had conducted preliminary work on building park‘n’rides at Parafield, Golden Grove, West Lakes, Bellevue Heights, Wayville, Crafers and Tambelin, which are now unlikely to go ahead.

The $160 million O-Bahn tunnel was the Government’s other major public transport commitment, but the project’s popularity in two marginal north-eastern seats means it is unlikely to get the chop.

“What we’re not going to do is throw the baby out with the bath water. What we want to do is improve public transport in the CBD - we can’t make North Tce any wider,” Mr Koutsantonis said.

“I don’t think it (the O’Bahn tunnel) is the type of project we would cancel because the public tranpsort outcomes out of it are exceptionally good for people in the north-eastern suburbs.”

The Labor Government announced its plan for a Transport Development Levy, known as the carpark tax, in December 2012.

Labor does not have the Upper House numbers to pass any Bill without the support of at least four of the six crossbenchers, or the Liberal Opposition.

Crossbenchers Dennis Hood and Robert Brokenshire of Family First, and John Darley, have publicly committed to stand with the Liberals to stop the introduction of the carpark tax.

It followed Mr Koutsantonis’ failed attempt to gain crossbench support.

The Advertiser revealed last week that he had offered to consider reinstating some emergency services levy subsidies.

The Opposition’s move to force the Government to back down on the tax breaks with parliamentary convention, which allows revenue-raising Budget measures to pass.

Mr Koutsantonis took aim at Opposition Leader Steven Marshall and said it was Mr Marshall who was ripping a $120 million hole in the State Budget.

Mr Marshall said the carpark tax would only increase the tax burden on ordinary families.

“This latest tax grab by the Weatherill Labor Government has nothing to do with improved public transport and everything to do with South Australia’s massive debt and deficit,” he said.

“It will do nothing to stimulate the economic investment South Australia so desperately needs.

“The State Liberals understand the pressures South Australian families and businesses are facing and will vote against this toxic tax.”

Property Council SA executive director Daniel Gannon said the organisation had made no secret of its belief that a car park tax would damage CBD vibrancy and the state’s economic growth.

“Right now, CBD business owners need to be encouraged to create jobs and grow our

state’s economy, not discouraged,” he said.

“On one hand the State Government is taking very positive steps to stimulate the

property and construction industry and make the CBD a more vibrant place to live and

work.

“However, on the other hand, the car park tax will only serve to stymie investment in

the CBD and would be a step in the wrong direction.”

http://www.news.com.au/national/south-a ... 7068408487

Waewick

#408 Post by Waewick » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:31 pm

Looking forward to getting my money back from Wilson parking

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#409 Post by jk1237 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:33 am

Sometimes its just so cringeworthy living in our state. We have the cheapest CBD car parking by far, and a tiny tax is opposed because as the Property council guy says - it will damage the city. Its just can't believe how fucking stupid we are. I mean, Sydney, Melb and Brisbane CBDs are ghost towns caus of their high car parking costs :roll:

And we have 2 people running for lord mayor that want to build more carparks, make the city more accessible to cars, and rip up the Frome Street bikeway.

Oh dear fucking god we are in a little world of our own (well the conservatives) I think Dallas and Houston are less right wing than Adelaide sometimes

Waewick

#410 Post by Waewick » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:59 pm

I dont want more carparks.

Just my money back thanks

ChillyPhilly

#411 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:01 am

We are a pissant town.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Waewick

#412 Post by Waewick » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:59 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:We are a pissant town.
why?

jase111
Gold-Member ;)

#413 Post by jase111 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:27 pm

Any body know when the 2013/2014 DPTI annual report is being released?

jimbly
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#414 Post by jimbly » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:25 pm

Haven't seen this posted before but the Underpass from Rose Terrace under Greenhill Rd/Anzac Highway is now complete. The official opening was a couple of weeks ago - Dept of Transport trying to hijack Cyclists on the way to work to offer a free coffee was quite a laugh :D
Attachments
IMG_0787.JPG
Looking South/East from Bridge
IMG_0787.JPG (3.46 MiB) Viewed 4639 times
IMG_0779.JPG
Looking South
IMG_0779.JPG (2.33 MiB) Viewed 4639 times
IMG_0776.JPG
Looking North
IMG_0776.JPG (2.71 MiB) Viewed 4639 times

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#415 Post by rev » Thu May 21, 2015 7:32 pm

So the feds have doubled(apparently) their funding to local councils for road repair/maintenance. Up from $350million(apparently) to $700 million.
I assume it's for this coming financial year. So I wonder if we will start to finally see some of the most shocking pot hole ridden roads fixed, FINALLY!!!! :evil:

[Shuz]

#416 Post by [Shuz] » Fri May 22, 2015 7:52 am

rev wrote:So the feds have doubled(apparently) their funding to local councils for road repair/maintenance. Up from $350million(apparently) to $700 million.
I assume it's for this coming financial year. So I wonder if we will start to finally see some of the most shocking pot hole ridden roads fixed, FINALLY!!!! :evil:
Interesting. If that is the case - why haven't we heard more about it? Tony Abbott bangs on about being the Infrastructure Prime Minister. Yet hasn't committed a single new dollar to road or rail transport projects in this budget. I would have thought the least he'd have done was brand his name on this initiative. It's a welcome addition, if true. There are a lot of poor quality roads in council areas.

Is the $700m for SA or the whole nation?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Waewick

#417 Post by Waewick » Fri May 22, 2015 3:34 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
rev wrote:So the feds have doubled(apparently) their funding to local councils for road repair/maintenance. Up from $350million(apparently) to $700 million.
Interesting. If that is the case - why haven't we heard more about it? Tony Abbott bangs on about being the Infrastructure Prime Minister. Yet hasn't committed a single new dollar to road or rail transport projects in this budget. I would have thought the least he'd have done was brand his name on this initiative. It's a welcome addition, if true. There are a lot of poor quality roads in council areas.

Is the $700m for SA or the whole nation?
His infrastrucutre doesn't include rail.......

but their funding into road is all they have been spruiking.

Llessur2002

#418 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri May 22, 2015 3:48 pm

Obviously I’m not alone in this view amongst forum members, but it really dismays me at how short-sighted both politicians and half of the general public are on this issue. I don’t think it’s just ‘lefty moaning’ to hold the opinion that private car use cannot continue the way it has been over the past few decades – it is simply unsustainable. And yet the obvious and widely accepted solution - public transport - is simply laughed-off or ignored by many. It’s just such incredible short-sightedness which makes me want to bang my head repeatedly against a brick wall.

Or other peoples’ heads now I think about it…

bits
Legendary Member!

#419 Post by bits » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:53 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:Obviously I’m not alone in this view amongst forum members, but it really dismays me at how short-sighted both politicians and half of the general public are on this issue. I don’t think it’s just ‘lefty moaning’ to hold the opinion that private car use cannot continue the way it has been over the past few decades – it is simply unsustainable. And yet the obvious and widely accepted solution - public transport - is simply laughed-off or ignored by many. It’s just such incredible short-sightedness which makes me want to bang my head repeatedly against a brick wall.

Baby steps.
The road network is doing stunningly well even with the excessive amount of cars vs people.
There has not been a reason that we required not driving our cars and the actually problem/reason is a future one, not one we currently have.

You wont change decades worth of habits overnight and we really do not have to; we have time but right now is a perfect time to start the shift towards alternative modes of transport.

Waewick

#420 Post by Waewick » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:40 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:Obviously I’m not alone in this view amongst forum members, but it really dismays me at how short-sighted both politicians and half of the general public are on this issue. I don’t think it’s just ‘lefty moaning’ to hold the opinion that private car use cannot continue the way it has been over the past few decades – it is simply unsustainable. And yet the obvious and widely accepted solution - public transport - is simply laughed-off or ignored by many. It’s just such incredible short-sightedness which makes me want to bang my head repeatedly against a brick wall.

I don't think it is laughed of, I think it is just seen as not practicle for a lot of people.

I've said it before, the two most densely populated areas in this city, rely on buses, which from my experience living in the area are hit and miss mainly because they are at the end of the route (i've lived in Unley and in Norwood - but I believe Norwood has improved)

IMO the key to getting any traction at all, is getting the numbers of users up (well no shit sherlock!) so rather than, for instance building a tram to the entertainment centre, for sole reason of building a park and ride they should IMO have built it Inner South or Inner East where there wasn't already rail.

Somehow you'd like to see it down Greenhill Road too give the large number of offices, I've always thought getting it down Hutt Street and linking it back up with KWS would make the most sense and cover off a large portion of Greenhill Road.

I'd like to see the link the Rail station with the tram stop out, completely avoid the elements and making a true interconnected system - not sure how to do that without digging up the road!!!