Pandas coming to Adelaide!

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

Pandas coming to Adelaide!

#1 Post by Al » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:22 am

I love pandas and I reckon this is great news!! I can't believe we're going to have pandas for ten years! This will be great for interstate tourism too.
Panda breeding coup
Article from: The Advertiser

KIM WHEATLEY, CHIEF REPORTER

September 06, 2007 06:30am

EXCLUSIVE: ADELAIDE Zoo will become home to some of the world's rarest animals – giant pandas.
Two-year-old Wangwang and his one-year-old mate Funi are being brought to Adelaide to breed in a global survival program.

Foreign Affairs Minister Alexander Downer is believed to have helped secure the pandas for a 10-year stay, following an Adelaide Zoo request.

Hundreds of thousands of visitors will be drawn to see the pandas in a major tourism and economic boost.

Prime Minister John Howard and Chinese President Hu Jintao are expected to sign an agreement at the APEC meeting in Sydney today formalising the agreement.

Wangwang and Funi were bred in captivity at the Wolong Nature Reserve in Sichuan, where 17 cubs were born last year. Only 12 zoos around the world have giant pandas, with most of the 185 in captivity in research and breeding centres in China.

Giant pandas are renowned worldwide as a symbol of peace and friendship.

They are loaned out by China to countries to promote goodwill.

Mr Downer said: "I was asked by Adelaide Zoo chief executive officer Dr Chris West to help the zoo fulfil its ambition to secure a pair of pandas to assist with global conservation.

"I am very pleased to have brought today's agreement to fruition. I thank the Chinese Government for its co-operation."

Australia last had two giant pandas in 1988, as China's gift for the Bicentennial celebrations.

Around 660,000 people visited Fei Fei and Xiao Xiao in their three-month stay in Melbourne and Sydney.

A $1-million enclosure was built at Melbourne Zoo and people were asked to check their gardens for the pandas' favoured food, arrow bamboo.

"The presence of Funi and Wangwang will be a reminder of President Hu's visit to Australia and a symbol of the warm and close relationship between our countries," Mr Downer said. Live "panda cams" now are common in zoos where commemorative T-shirts, mugs, fridge magnets, soft toys and socks have become a multi-million dollar business.

The breeding program, however, is of most importance to ensure the survival of the species.

The San Diego Zoo, which attracts about 3.2 million visitors a year, has bred four cubs.

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Pandas coming to Adelaide!

#2 Post by Ho Really » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:41 am

This is an interesting development. I can imagine all those tourists and money spent here. At least something positive out of APEC. One question: if they have offspring do we get to keep them?

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by Howie » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:56 am

Great news ! I can't wait to see them.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#4 Post by Pistol » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:06 pm

10 years! What a coup for Adelaide Zoo. I hope the state govt. chips in and helps with funds for a new enclosure considering they only offer the zoo 30% of its running costs.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#5 Post by stelaras » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:20 pm

thats a fantastic scoup since Adelaide is a very ordinary zoo!

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Will » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:36 pm

stelaras wrote:thats a fantastic scoup since Adelaide is a very ordinary zoo!

It has improved a lot in the last few years. I was actually pleasantly surprised in a visit earlier this year.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#7 Post by jk1237 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:03 pm

I hadn't been to the zoo since I was about 7, but about 2 weeks ago my team at work won a brunch at the zoo. I couldnt believe our zoo. It was fantastic and the gardens were beautiful. Last year I visited Taronga Park Zoo in Sydney. Nothing can beat the ferry trip and the views from the zoo back to Sydney city, however as for the zoo, I actually reckon ours is just as good if not better. Go and have a look at ours

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#8 Post by AtD » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:50 pm

Adelaide's Zoo is better than Melbourne's zoo, at least in IMO

Ho Really

#9 Post by Ho Really » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:06 pm

I agree, Adelaide Zoo isn't bad and it will only get better with the introduction of the Pandas. Another jewel in our crown. :wink:

Cheers

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#10 Post by Pistol » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:45 am

Considering that Adelaide zoo is the smallest zoo in Australia, you can't really fault it. Remember that the zoo is owned by the Zoological Society of SA and not the government, it is easy to understand why there isn't as much investment as other zoos. This is MASSIVE recognition for our fair zoo. I urge all of you out there to become a member of the zoo and reap the rewards of one of the most understated assets this city has.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

#11 Post by Al » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:20 pm

Yes I've been to Taronga as well and I reckon our zoo is pretty good compared to that. I've taken our kids there and they loved it. I'll definitely be taking them again when the pandas arrive. I still cannot believe Adelaide scored such a coup. We're going to be one of the very few zoos around the world to host pandas and the only one in the southern hemisphere! I hope SA Tourism milk this for everything it's worth.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#12 Post by Cruise » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:22 pm

i havent bee to the zoo in years last time i was there was 7 years ago
funny this just came up i was talking to a friend about going there again soon.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#13 Post by crawf » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:43 pm

woohoo!

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#14 Post by Howie » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:07 pm

I hadn't gone to the zoo for ages until about this march when i took my missus down there... blown away by how the adelaide zoo has come about, it was an excellent experience and right up there with my trip to taronga.

actually am considering becoming a member of the zoological society.. it's a good deal.

Ho Really

#15 Post by Ho Really » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:33 am

Howie wrote:...actually am considering becoming a member of the zoological society.. it's a good deal.
If you visit several times during a year you've paid for it. Especially good if you have kids, they'll enjoy it.

Cheers