Official Food Thread

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Food Thread

#16 Post by Norman » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:54 pm

The German Arms Hotel in Hahndorf is great, but a tad expensive. Only been there once, but the food was great and so was the atmosphere.

Marion Hotel is not bad if you're looking for an alright meal for an alright price.

The Exeter has great food at good prices, reccomended by me :)

Marion Dial-a-Pizza is no good, I suspect the same from Modbury Dial-a-Pizza.

Port Adelaide Hungry Jacks apparently makes the best fries.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#17 Post by crawf » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:02 am

I had HJs from Port Adelaide on the weekend, and the chips tasted em.. ok
Hoops wrote:I'd like to pose a question too,

"Where is the best Mexican food Obtained from in particular Nachos and burritos ?"(Preferably takeaway)
Burp on Hindley Street is meant to be really good

Where is the best place to get sushi in town? (takeaway), sushi is great if your in a rush and its cheap

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#18 Post by jk1237 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:28 am

Crawf and others, if you could all go for sushi to Roll and Roll on Bank Street. Its a tiny little shop, the sushi is nice, however the staff are obscenely nice. The 2 Japanese ladies are the friendliest ladies, and I guarantee they will leave a smile on your face, as they stand and waive you goodbye for 5 minutes :lol:

What about Indian food. I like The Maya (I think its called) on that little Indian street of Gouger. However the nicest ever was when we got some takeaway over the road from Harvey Norman at Enfield (Blair Athol). The shop looked scungy, but it was the best Indian food ever, and quite a line up of people too.

jlimty
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#19 Post by jlimty » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:04 pm

crawf wrote:Where is the best place to get sushi in town? (takeaway), sushi is great if your in a rush and its cheap
Genki sushi (I think its called) in the David Jones Food Hall at Rundle Mall is pretty good. I absolutely love raw salmon rolls :D Sushi Train (in the city) and Simply Sushi (on Jetty Road in Glenelg) are also quite nice if you prefer a sit down meal.
jk1237 wrote: What about Indian food.
Beyond India on O'Connells in North Adelaide is very nice but it is a little pricey. Raj on Taj in Hyde Park is a little less expensive but very nice as well :D

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#20 Post by Maximus » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:08 pm

I haven't been to The Maya for years, but it certainly was very good when I did used to go there. Elsewhere, out of the 500 or so Indian restaurants on Unley Road (slight exaggeration) I think possibly Tandoori Oven is the best.

In the upper price bracket, if you want a nice night out for you and the special lady, I can't recommend Assaggio (on King William Road in Hyde Park) highly enough. The food is excellent and the portion sizes are generous, but what really sets it apart is the service. Each time I have been there they have been wonderfully friendly and we've been treated like kings.
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#21 Post by AtD » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:37 pm

The sushi in Canberra is terrible. There's only two chains, no independents, maybe 5 or 6 different fillings, they're expensive, skimpy on fillings and they always taste like they've been sitting there for a day.

actually, all food here is terrible... or expensive... or both.

The best sushi place I found in Adelaide is Sushi King next to Target on Rundle Street or on James Place near City Cross. They are the only place I found that did raw tuna and tempura calamari, reasonably priced and always exploding with filling. Things may have changed in my absence.

Genki Roll in the DJ's food court always has a massive queue and is a little pricey as far as sushi goes. Not worth it IMO.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#22 Post by Wayno » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:46 pm

We sometimes go to the Hot Wok restaurant opposite the Boho Bar on Unley Rd. I think it was renamed recently, same owners though. The Chilli Mussels are excellent, and the Salt & Pepper Morton Bay Bugs are just the best!

Dang, i'm drooling on the keyboard again...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

teflon fox
Donating Member
Donating Member

#23 Post by teflon fox » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:47 pm

AtD wrote:The sushi in Canberra is terrible. There's only two chains, no independents, maybe 5 or 6 different fillings, they're expensive, skimpy on fillings and they always taste like they've been sitting there for a day.

The best sushi place I found in Adelaide is Sushi King next to Target on Rundle Street or on James Place near City Cross. They are the only place I found that did raw tuna and tempura calamari, reasonably priced and always exploding with filling. Things may have changed in my absence.

Genki Roll in the DJ's food court always has a massive queue and is a little pricey as far as sushi goes. Not worth it IMO.

Things haven"t changed - Sushi King IMO clearly the best in Adelaide - most variety and well priced. If you go later
in the afternoon you can usually get 3 for the price of 2 :)

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#24 Post by AtD » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:33 pm

Great! One of the first things I did on Google Street View is make sure Sushi King still existed. Those little stores come and go like the weather sometimes. Glad to hear they're still around!

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#25 Post by AG » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:09 pm

Nothing beats real sushi in Japan itself, I miss Japanese food. It absolutely tops any sushi here in Australia.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#26 Post by Norman » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:28 pm

I wouldn't even dare to try Sushi.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#27 Post by monotonehell » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:52 am

A group of friends and I go to a different restaurant almost every Thursday. I'm too lazy to rate and review them all though. ;)

This week we went to Jasmine on Hindmarsh Square, it's possibly the most famous Indian restaurant in the square mile. It was ... okay.. what can I say? It's good Indian food, high quality, very tasty.

Last week we went to Cut on King William Street, very good contemporary Italian style food. I HIGHLY recommend the pork belly which they roast to crackling. AWESOME *drool*

Week before we went to Jerusalem on Hindley Street. Very basic, honest food - the staple middle eastern stuffs, I love that stuff. The host is a real character. You must try the coffee with cardamom!
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#28 Post by Cruise » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:40 am

Will409 wrote:
Cruise wrote:
Will409 wrote: Back to sophisticated tastes now!
Hungry Jacks?
Nothing that has ever come from America can be considered sophisticated. All Americans are genetically programmed to have no sense of taste.
What? everything tastes better deep fried!!!

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#29 Post by Will » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:05 am

AG wrote:Nothing beats real sushi in Japan itself, I miss Japanese food. It absolutely tops any sushi here in Australia.
I knew a Japanese exchange student who was a bit homesick and not impressed by the quality of sushi here in Australia.

I took her to Wasai Japanese Kitchen at 15 Field Street (off Gouger Street). She loved it! Although I am not a big fan of sushi, she said that the sushi and sashimi was as good as back in Japan. So I recommend this place!

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#30 Post by SRW » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:00 pm

teflon fox wrote:
AtD wrote:The sushi in Canberra is terrible. There's only two chains, no independents, maybe 5 or 6 different fillings, they're expensive, skimpy on fillings and they always taste like they've been sitting there for a day.

Things haven"t changed - Sushi King IMO clearly the best in Adelaide - most variety and well priced. If you go later
in the afternoon you can usually get 3 for the price of 2 :)
Yes, love Todai Sushi King too! I believe they also have an small outlet on King William between the Mall and Grenfell.

Genki Roll is ok, but overrated. The best sushi I've had in the Mall is at Um Sushi in Rundle Mall Plaza.
Keep Adelaide Weird