Ideas on how to attract more people to SA?

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Ideas on how to attract more people to SA?

#181 Post by Wayno » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:11 pm

Northern Adelaide tops population growth

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008 ... 340995.htm
Adelaide's northern suburbs are recording strong population growth.

Figures from the Australian Bureau of Statistics show that the Salisbury, Port Adelaide Enfield and Playford council areas had the greatest population growth in South Australia in the latest year.

Australian Population Institute SA chairman Michael Hickinbotham says the northern belt has strong potential.

"An extra 9,170 people now live in the Salisbury Council area compared to 2002 - that's a big jump," he said.

"And when you look at the three major northern councils of Salisbury, Port Adelaide Enfield and Playford you see a staggering 18,171 more people living in that area compared to five years ago."
The wheel of progress is slowly starting to turn faster...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#182 Post by Shuz » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:55 pm

18,000 over 5 years is supposed to be staggering? That's nothing. Gold Coast gets like 60,000 a year...now that's staggering.

I hate Advertiser sensationalism.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#183 Post by Norman » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:49 pm

That figure is just for the northern suburbs.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#184 Post by Cruise » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:29 pm

Shuz wrote:18,000 over 5 years is supposed to be staggering? That's nothing. Gold Coast gets like 60,000 a year...now that's staggering.

I hate Advertiser sensationalism.

Ahh i knew you would have to run that article down :roll:

Somebody
High Rise Poster!

#185 Post by Somebody » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:18 pm

If the Gold Coast is getting 60k more residents a year it should double it's population from 527,000 (as of 2007 / last year) to about 1.5mil in 8.7 years. Uhhh I don't think so :roll: :P

It should increase to 552,500 (predicted by GCCC) in 2011, however that is still nothing like 60,000 a year. South East Queensland is growing rapidly tho.

18,000 more people in Playford IS a pretty significant increase you gotta admit. It's only one chunk of Adelaide.
The Gold Coast - Australia's centre for insipid, tacky & boring.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#186 Post by Cruise » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:22 pm

Broadguage, You don't understand, you have to take into account Shuz's Anti-Northern suburbs outlook.
Last edited by Cruise on Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Somebody
High Rise Poster!

#187 Post by Somebody » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:23 pm

Cruisey, where does he proposing "ending" Adelaide at in the northern direction?

Also, which one looks better, GC or Playford
(Last pic from Anthony Leith)
The Gold Coast - Australia's centre for insipid, tacky & boring.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#188 Post by Shuz » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:55 pm

Cruise wrote:Broadguage, You don't understand, you have to take into account Shuz's Anti-Northern suburbs outlook.
Not so much anti-northern suburbs, moreso anti-Elizabeth.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#189 Post by Cruise » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:07 pm

Somebody wrote:Cruisey, where does he proposing "ending" Adelaide at in the northern direction?
Little Para River.
Somebody wrote: Also, which one looks better, GC or Playford
(Last pic from Anthony Leith)
which one looks better? Melbourne or New York City?

Your question has nothing to do with the arguement, just like my question.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#190 Post by Wayno » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:53 am

The luck of the Irish

Thousands of Irish are coming to Oz! and jobs are the key to attracting people...

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/thou ... 63344.html
The bleak outlook for the construction industry in Ireland is prompting an increasing number of workers to migrate to Australia.

Overseas recruitment agencies have seen a massive increase in the number of workers going to Australia to settle down, and thousands more are inquiring about making the move.

"There's a change of events. People are being let go here so they have to look further afield," says Edwina Shanahan, the company's marketing manager with migrationabroad.com.

"Initially they would have been going on a one year working visa, but a lot are now going out for three to four years on a sponsored visa.

"The big turnaround was at the start of the year. Since February the number of staff we work with has doubled."

As the recession hits the construction industry in Ireland, workers are being left with no option but to leave the country.

"So far this year, we've sent 5,000-6,000 people over on skilled migrant visas, so I'd say it has more than doubled this year.

"If you're willing to work in the mines in Australia you'd definitely be earning €80,000," she added.

"An awful lot of the boom is from China. Chinese growth is increasing the massive demand for resources, especially in the mining, transportation and communication industries.

"The working environment is very good over there," added Edwina, who says that this is another reason why a move to Australia is attractive.

Sydney and Melbourne are not the only attractive destinations for Irish workers, as a low cost of living matched with high wages are available elsewhere.

"People have never considered living in Adelaide before," Edwina added. "You could buy a four-bed house in South Australia for €200,000 with a garden and a pool in the back," says Edwina.

Demand
Bricklayers, plasterers, carpenters, stone masons, plumbers, electricians, and mechanical fitters are among the professions which are in huge demand down under.

"I can't get enough of them to fill the jobs over there," says Edwina.

"We used to do a talk in the Red Cow every second or third month but since last September we've been doing it every single month. It's absolutely packed out the doors."
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

jlimty
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#191 Post by jlimty » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:03 pm

Wayno wrote:
Thousands of Irish are coming to Oz! and jobs are the key to attracting people...
Unfortunately, even jobs won't keep you in Oz apparently. In the past couple of months, I know of 2 foreign workers (one a Canadian and one a Pom) who have had to return to their respective countries because of visa problems. The former worked in the RAH but she had to go back because she couldn't get her visa re-newed I believe (despite the fact she already had a job in the health industry; they always seem to have a shortage of staff)

The latter works in my company and she recently migrated over after marrying a South Aussie but even she has been having trouble with her visa, forcing her to return to England until they grant her a proper visa. It is just me or is the migration system trying to deter people from coming over? These are just 2 examples (I'm sure there are more out there) of people who are more than happy to live and work in Adelaide but the system seems to be working against them. Being someone who has gone through the migration process myself it isn't all bad but there certainly seems to be rooms for LOTS of improvement.

I would have thought that the Brits wouldn't have problems coming over but there seems to be too many restrictions in place (I know of others who have had problems as well) Anyone heard of similar stories?

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#192 Post by Wayno » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:13 am

jlimty wrote: I would have thought that the Brits wouldn't have problems coming over but there seems to be too many restrictions in place (I know of others who have had problems as well) Anyone heard of similar stories?
I was in a taxi a couple of weeks ago, and the ~40yo pommy driver told about his recent permanent visa drama's. Not sure if he was exagerating or not, but it took him approx 2 years to get it processed, and cost many thousands of pounds. He had to split his family (leaving his 2 teenage sons in england, only bringing his 2 younger kids and wife) or risk losing his visa completely?!?

He's a master plumber by trade (15years in the business) but can't run his own business here so must act as a plumbers lacky (or attend a 12month tafe course). Retaining your pride is very important for new immigrants IMHO.

Apparently the most sought after trade in SA is hairdresser! If you are british and can "cut locks" then your application gets processed the quickest. Another job in the Top 10 is Silver Service Waiter! plumbers, brikkies, etc are waay down the list...go figure...

jlimty
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#193 Post by jlimty » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:37 pm

Wayno wrote: I was in a taxi a couple of weeks ago, and the ~40yo pommy driver told about his recent permanent visa drama's. Not sure if he was exagerating or not, but it took him approx 2 years to get it processed, and cost many thousands of pounds. He had to split his family (leaving his 2 teenage sons in england, only bringing his 2 younger kids and wife) or risk losing his visa completely?!?
I'm pretty sure he wasn't exaggerating, it seems that you need to meet all sorts of criteria before you can get your permanent residency. I actually went through the skilled migration process and to be fair it was fairly painless (I lodged my application online) and I only had to wait for about 2 months after all my documents were lodged for my residency to be granted. The question is why are there such differing efficiencies for the 2 cases when they are essentially the same process?
Wayno wrote: He's a master plumber by trade (15years in the business) but can't run his own business here so must act as a plumbers lacky (or attend a 12month tafe course). Retaining your pride is very important for new immigrants IMHO.
Totally agree. Again, why shouldn't their qualifications obtained in England be recognised here in Australia? I believe most Australian standards are similar to English standards and in some cases where there no relevant AZ standard, the BS standard is referred to anyway. The fact that there seems to be quite a number of foreigners who are interested in coming to Adelaide is definitely encouraging. But if the system lets these people down, not only might they give up on migrating here but the negative press we might receive in their home countries could potentially be even more damaging.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#194 Post by Wayno » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:39 am

jlimty wrote:I actually went through the skilled migration process and to be fair it was fairly painless (I lodged my application online) and I only had to wait for about 2 months after all my documents were lodged for my residency to be granted. The question is why are there such differing efficiencies for the 2 cases when they are essentially the same process?
Can i ask your "profile" :) age, trade/profession, and how many years ago did you apply for residency?

2 months sounds like a very reasonable timeframe...

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#195 Post by Wayno » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:16 pm

New Zealander's for SA

Good to know that Rann alongside former NZ PM Mike Moore is out out there promoting Adelaide & SA...

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/410965/2074618
Former PM luring Kiwis to Adelaide

South Australia's Premier is trying to lure Kiwi workers across the ditch - aided and backed by a former New Zealand Prime Minister.

Mike Rann, who is originally from New Zealand himself, is heading a delegation to a major employment expo in Auckland.

He says the state is undergoing a period of intense growth, and needs to attract skilled people to fill job vacancies.

Rann even has the support of former Prime Minister Mike Moore, who is on the state of South Australia's economic board (amongst a number in the state).

Moore says the mineral boom in South Australia is just a few years away, and hundreds of thousands of new workers will be needed.

He says the biggest hole in history will be dug in the state, and a million tonnes of dirt and rock will be shifted every day for five years.

Moore is at pains to point out he does not want people leaving New Zealand, but if they do, then Adelaide is the place to go.

He believes it is unrealistic to expect people to spend their entire working lives in New Zealand.
and another related article here. Sure does make SA's prospects sound promising! http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=10531973