[COM] South Road Superway | $842m | 3km

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Benski81
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: South Road Upgrades | PRO: South Road Superway

#1081 Post by Benski81 » Mon May 24, 2010 2:29 pm

rev wrote:Not sure if this has anything to do with the superway, but there's an excavator and some sort of machine parked at the South/Days road intersection..
Didn't see any construction going on...so since the signs advertising the superway are up, I guess this is somehow related? :?:
Also there are works being done at the PREXY/south rd grade separation. I have no idea what they're doing there though, but today when I drove past they had 25km/hr signage up and had put down what looked like gravel for another lane or something?! No idea what it actually is.

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1082 Post by rogue » Mon May 24, 2010 7:12 pm

They are testing different piling methods to establish what will be best for the eventual construction.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1083 Post by rev » Wed May 26, 2010 10:08 pm

Yeh, there's a mobile crane there now and some red metal structure pieces or something that looks like it has a V shape to it.

The Scooter Guy
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1084 Post by The Scooter Guy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:49 pm

Motorways & autobahns in this decade and the future would be replaced by multi-lane 'superhighways'.
Would the South Road Superway be REALLY called a 'Superway' in future street directories? Or would it be indicated as a 'highway/major road'?
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Aidan

#1085 Post by Aidan » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:47 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:Motorways & autobahns in this decade and the future would be replaced by multi-lane 'superhighways'.
Struth, that's so '90s!
Would the South Road Superway be REALLY called a 'Superway' in future street directories? Or would it be indicated as a 'highway/major road'?
What do you mean "Or"?

It wouldn't be indicated in a different way from other comparable highways, but the name South Road Superway would be used.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

skyliner

#1086 Post by skyliner » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:12 pm

Text dense and perhaps misleading - after all, isn't an expressway a 'superway'. Still, the relatively unique aspect probably seen to require a unique name.

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#1087 Post by drsmith » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:45 pm

The Northern Connector and Northern Expressway are natural extensions of the Sturt Highway connected by a small section of the Gawler Bypass. This whole section of road could be named the Sturt Freeway. Booring I suppose, but easy to understand.

South of the Port River Expressway, the new superway could be a continuation of the Sturt Freeway/Expressway/Superway. The service road underneath would retain the name of South Road.

The question then becomes whether or not it (a free flowing route) ever gets down as far as the suburb of Sturt.

rhino

#1088 Post by rhino » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:10 am

drsmith wrote:The Northern Connector and Northern Expressway are natural extensions of the Sturt Highway connected by a small section of the Gawler Bypass. This whole section of road could be named the Sturt Freeway. Booring I suppose, but easy to understand.

South of the Port River Expressway, the new superway could be a continuation of the Sturt Freeway/Expressway/Superway. The service road underneath would retain the name of South Road.

The question then becomes whether or not it (a free flowing route) ever gets down as far as the suburb of Sturt.
Well done, that man. I agree with your thinking. Perhaps if they name it the Charles Sturt Freeway it would only have to make it as far as Hindmarsh to be relevant in the suburbs? :)
cheers,
Rhino

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#1089 Post by drsmith » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:46 pm

The Charles Sturt Freeway is so fitting that one is inclined to include a freshly duplicated Southern Expressway as well.

ChillyPhilly

#1090 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:02 pm

Speaking of how it'd be marked in a street directory, wouldn't it be represented as a freeway/expressway (dual green lines for most versions)?
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1091 Post by AtD » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:47 am

Hey marquisite, I've moved your ideas to a new thread here in the Visions section. This thread is already over 1,000 posts long and we have enough trouble keeping track of the Government's ever changing ideas, let alone our own.

If you want the new thread renamed, just say so there.

Cheers.

gumbi
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1092 Post by gumbi » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:52 pm

I'm sure someone has probably mentioned this before, but I am failing to see the logic in the government's plans to upgrade South Road. The section between Port and Regency is an absolute embarrassment to the city. There are no slip lanes for right turns, high vehicles can't even use the outer lanes and perhaps the most frustrating thing is that on either side there are derelict properties which could probably be acquired for a reasonable price. Despite all this, the government has decided to build a superway on one of the best parts of South Road. SRSLY???!!!

Nort

#1093 Post by Nort » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:44 pm

gumbi wrote:I'm sure someone has probably mentioned this before, but I am failing to see the logic in the government's plans to upgrade South Road. The section between Port and Regency is an absolute embarrassment to the city. There are no slip lanes for right turns, high vehicles can't even use the outer lanes and perhaps the most frustrating thing is that on either side there are derelict properties which could probably be acquired for a reasonable price. Despite all this, the government has decided to build a superway on one of the best parts of South Road. SRSLY???!!!
Have you read the whole thread, the logic of it has been stated many times.

The state government originally had stated plans were to update intersections like the South Road/Port Road intersection one at a time. The federal government then came in and said that since the northernmost section of South Road was forecast to have a major increase in traffic in the next couple of decades they would chip in a few hundred million dollars to upgrade it.

The superway isn't being built to fix a current problem, it is being built to prevent a future one emerging. If the construction waited until it was desperately needed then it would cause a lot more disruption and cost significantly more.

Waewick

#1094 Post by Waewick » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:34 am

you forget to mention Nort that if they waited it would be added into the "only in Adelaide" things.

I gather that eventually they will upgrade the worst of the parts once finishing this superway.

Nort

#1095 Post by Nort » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:07 pm

capitalist wrote:you forget to mention Nort that if they waited it would be added into the "only in Adelaide" things.

I gather that eventually they will upgrade the worst of the parts once finishing this superway.
Yeah. I personally agree with how they are doing things, you get lots of people complaining about how bad peak hour traffic is on the more central stretch of South Road, but that is irrelevant to this development as the Superway isn't being built to reduce commuter times. It's being built to accommodate predicted commercial need, and also to prepare for the increase in traffic that will come with construction of the Northern Connector. You can almost think of it as less of an upgrade to South Road, and more an extension of the Sturt Highway.