News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
muzzamo
Legendary Member!

Re: Electrification and Resleepering of TransAdelaide Networ

#1096 Post by muzzamo » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:36 am

I wonder if the roof is going to cover the entire track or if they will leave it partially opened. Otherwise the jumbos will blacken it quickly.

Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1097 Post by Xaragmata » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:56 pm

A few general pics of the Gawler line upgrade...

Substitute buses at Adelaide & Mawson Lakes

Trains arrive & depart on Platform 2 at Mawson Lakes

Manual cross over just north of Mawson Lakes

Xaragmata

#1098 Post by Xaragmata » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:53 pm

Pics of Goldsmith Drive bridge for Seaford rail extension, Friday. Structure largely complete, cutting needs to be excavated ...

http://xaragmata.cable.nu/album/railway ... index.html

Straze
High Rise Poster!

#1099 Post by Straze » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:11 pm

Trains

On 13 March 2010, the State Government issued a formal tender for the supply and maintenance of 66 new electric railcars, for operation on the electrified Adelaide suburban rail network.

The railcars will use current proven technology, in that they will be a proven model of train operating well elsewhere. The new electric trains will be a faster and more reliable vehicle.

It is anticipated that the first electric trains will start arriving in 2012 and be progressively introduced on our electrified lines.

Adelaides new electric trains

* The first new electric trains are planned to arrive in 2012. They will be tested on the new Seaford extension before commencing operational service on the electrified Seaford and Gawler lines in 2013, with the Outer Harbor line to follow in 2015.
* Electric trains will provide a more modern and efficient train service for commuters, and deliver environmental benefits such as reduced noise and local air pollution.
* Electric trains have lower operational and maintenance costs than diesel models.
* Wheelchairs, small electric vehicles, pushers, prams and bicycles will still be able to access the new trains. There may still be some restrictions (as there are now) on the number of bicycles that are carried on any single train.
* The new and refurbished trains will have modern security systems, including closed circuit TV.
* The electric rail service will be achieved through an overhead power supply similar to the trams, though with an AC rather than DC current to suit the local network.

http://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/RR/ ... trams/news
http://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/RR/ ... _questions
:lol: Looks like the people who use the Outer Harbor Line will have to wait around until 2015 to see electric trains running. Which makes me wonder how its going to work, so will the remaining diesel railcars have to be shared between the Belair Line and Outer Harbor Line until 2015.
Do yourself a favour and come to South Australia.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1100 Post by SRW » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:47 pm

So, with the remaining 70 of 3000/3100 class, these new 66 (136 total vs around 100 presently) should allow for some significant service improvements (though is it enough?). Interesting that there's no mention of the 15 'tram-trains' that were originally supposed to be part of the tender.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Xaragmata

#1101 Post by Xaragmata » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:08 am

For any night owls, the Rosewater line is in limited use for movements to & from the Adel maintenance depot:

http://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/RR/ ... trams/news

Use of Rosewater rail line

To maintain the operation of rail cars between Gawler Central and Mawson Lakes it will be necessary for the trains to have access to the Adelaide
maintenance facilities.

Following the success of the trials undertaken in April and May, this access will be provided via the Rosewater line and the Outer Harbor line.

A minimum of two train movements (one in each direction) will occur via the Rosewater line between 12 am and 4 am every Monday, Wednesday
and Friday and on some Saturday mornings during the project.

Emergency access to the Rosewater line may be required outside of the above times at other stages of the project.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1102 Post by jk1237 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:20 am

thanks for your photos xaragmata. Great to to see its all go on the Seaford extension.

Anyone know how far they've got with resleepering of the Gawler line. After its done, I spose the reverse happen, ie trains to Mawson Lakes or Salisbury and then buses from there to Gawler

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#1103 Post by fabricator » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:31 am

SRW wrote:So, with the remaining 70 of 3000/3100 class, these new 66 (136 total vs around 100 presently) should allow for some significant service improvements (though is it enough?). Interesting that there's no mention of the 15 'tram-trains' that were originally supposed to be part of the tender.
Its unlikely the extra railcars will make much difference, as rumor has it they can only operate as fixed 3 car sets. Will be some improvements as electric trains have better acceleration and braking, but I doubt it will result in every 15 minute services.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

HeapsGood
High Rise Poster!
Location: At the Adelaide Airport thankfully now not having to use a Dyson Airblade

#1104 Post by HeapsGood » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:19 pm

I wonder how long it will take the deadshit losers to tag the new Hallet Cove train station from when it opens ...

I can see that new walkway sheeting, toilet, and roof covered already...
*Looks at Dyson Airblade Factory* "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure"

skyliner

#1105 Post by skyliner » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:43 pm

You've got to give it to them - they are fast! But what an annoyance to say the least. These are the very people who will complain about the trains/stations being sub standard. No respect of property, sometimes not even theirs - can't understand the attitude.

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1106 Post by AtD » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:17 pm

fabricator wrote:Its unlikely the extra railcars will make much difference, as rumor has it they can only operate as fixed 3 car sets. Will be some improvements as electric trains have better acceleration and braking, but I doubt it will result in every 15 minute services.
I wasn't aware that the tender result had been announced.

DM8
High Rise Poster!

#1107 Post by DM8 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:20 am

fabricator wrote:... but I doubt it will result in every 15 minute services.
In that case, I wouldn't expect to see much of an increase in patronage once the works on the entire network are complete.
"You pay for good roads, whether you have them or not! And it's not the wealth of a nation that builds the roads, but the roads that build the wealth of a nation." ...John F. Kennedy

skyliner

#1108 Post by skyliner » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:44 pm

DM8 wrote:
fabricator wrote:... but I doubt it will result in every 15 minute services.
In that case, I wouldn't expect to see much of an increase in patronage once the works on the entire network are complete.
The sheer novelty of the electric trains will act as a sure initial effect on patronage - this may well cause need for more stock if capitalised upon quickly.

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

DM8
High Rise Poster!

#1109 Post by DM8 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:12 am

skyliner wrote:The sheer novelty of the electric trains will act as a sure initial effect on patronage
Initially perhaps, yes. But the services need to be more frequent for it to be an attractive transport option.

I dare say frequency of services is one of the two main reasons the O-Bahn is so popular (the other of course being speed). If I had to wait half an hour to an hour for an O-Bahn bus, I'd give up and take the car.
"You pay for good roads, whether you have them or not! And it's not the wealth of a nation that builds the roads, but the roads that build the wealth of a nation." ...John F. Kennedy

ozisnowman
High Rise Poster!

#1110 Post by ozisnowman » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:27 pm

I can recall reading on one of the dtei information pdf's that they plan to increase the frequency of services once the network is
upgraded and electrified and new rolling stock purchased. If i recall properly they did mention 15 min service frequency during peak
hours and 30 min out of peak. If they do increase frequency there will be a patronage increase which may then lead to more rolling
stock and even more increased frequency.